What possible future for Iraq? Despite the presence of many possible scenarios, here is the point of view of Ali Baydar, an Iraqi journalist who sees that:
- Iraq is almost done with Daesh;
- Unfortunately, taking into consideration the important role that militias have now, the end of Daesh will not necessarily put an end to violence in general;
- There are five different categories of militias in Iraq, but the most worrying of them may be the ones placed under Iranian influence;
- The future of the Kurdish issue will not necessarily engage the Iraqi society in a large-scale conflict;
- Interference in Iraq’s affairs from countries such as Iran and the USA have negative consequences;
- The Iraqi society is divided and this situation is risky for the future;
- We have to wait and see if Iraqis are really ready to go beyond their official slogans and to act in a way that serves national unity.
What follows is the full interview, led in Arabic.